6.23.2011

Recipe #28: Stovetop Potatoes

I am never roasting potatoes in the oven again (especially not on a hot summer day). I found a method that makes the potatoes turn out just perfect - crisp on the outside, moist on the inside. And it couldn't be easier.

It's loosely based off of Ina Garten's Dill Fingerling Potatoes recipe. Basically, you melt 2 TB of butter in a Dutch oven (heavy, cast iron pot). Throw some baby potatoes in there (Trader Joe has a convenient 1.5 LB bag of baby potatoes), and sprinkle with salt & pepper. I added some whole garlic cloves and didn't have fresh herbs on hand, so I skipped that part (but it would be just as tasty with rosemary, thyme, etc.). Leave on the stove on low for about 15 minutes, shaking every so often. Take off the burner, but keep the lid on for another 5 minutes. The steam really penetrates the potatoes, leaving them incredibly moist. Couldn't be any easier.

I actually had half a bag of broccoli crowns I needed to use up, so I threw those on top of the potatoes for the last 5 minutes, and they were perfectly steamed, too! I love one-pot wonders.


Best of all, the garlic pieces get beautifully caramelized, and when garlic gets roasted, its flavor really mellows out and becomes sweet. Delicious spread on nice, crusty bread. 5 ladles!

No comments: