6.08.2011

Banana smoothie

I've been having trouble falling asleep lately - probably due to some stress at work. And when I can't fall asleep, I often find myself in front of the TV, watching late-night infomercials. Watching infomercials is a sick addiction, I tell you - sick. The infomercials are so terrible, yet it's like a train wreck -- I can't seem to peel my eyes away from them.

I'm sure you've all heard of the Magic Bullet. I never believe anything I see on those informercials, but 2 co-workers recently raved about the Magic Bullet. So I went to Bed Bath & Beyond in search of the Magic Bullet (I can't bring myself to call the 800 number on their infomercial - call it dignity, call it embarrassment, whatever). The store does in fact carry the Magic Bullet, but I was distracted by Cuisinart's version of the Magic Bullet. It's a tiny bit more expensive, but I was lured by the promise of BPA-free cups.

Anyway, I just tried my own concoction:

- frozen berries (mixture of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries & raspberries)
- skim milk
- spoonful of flaxseed
- one overripe banana (great way to use them up)
- a few ice cubes

Dump in the blending cup, blend for a few seconds -- and voila! A banana berry smoothie:


I might try the other blade to see if it'll crush the ice better. That was the only drawback.

It also comes with a handy travel lid, so I can pop the lid on and take it with me -- very handy for those hectic mornings. There are endless possibilities when it comes to healthy smoothies (yogurt instead of milk, agave nectar or honey for a touch of sweetness, flaxseed oil to aid digestion, or a spoonful of peanut butter for added protein). Now that the farmer's markets are oveflowing with fresh fruit, this system is going to be a great way to use up overripe fruit (I have a tendency to get excited at the market and end up buying way too much fruit than I can possibly eat before it all goes bad!).

No comments: