5.31.2011

Recipe #26: Strawberry lemon curd tart

You'll never believe what happened with this recipe. As you can see, the tart portion is quite labor-intensive. After I had carefully baked the tart, I...dropped it on the floor! It shattered into pieces, as the tart shell was quite buttery and flaky...and apparently fragile. Giant BOO. It was frustrating, to say the least.

But you know what they say -- when life gives you lemons, make lemon bars. ;) So, I went out and bought some pastry shells, and improvised. Here they are, filled with the lemon curd: 


And here they are, with the strawberries on top:


Overall, it was pretty tasty, but I can only give it 3 ladles because of the following:

A) The lemon curd was overwhelmingly sweet -- as in, mouth-puckering sweet. I would definitely reduce the amount of sugar next time.
B) The lemon flavor wasn't very pronounced. I guess I expected it to taste more like a lemon bar, with a more intense lemon kick.
C) The recipe called for a glaze of strawberry jam. I tried it, but it looked very messy and unappealing over the fresh strawberries. I'd venture to say that when the berries are fresh and ripe, you can forego the extra layer of sugar and just showcase the natural beauty of the berries.

No comments: