5.02.2011

Recipe #23: Pumpkin bread

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've got a lot of canned pumpkin laying around. So...I tried a new recipe for pumpkin bread. I've made many pumpkin breads in the past, but I have to say that this recipe is by far the easiest and tastiest. It's incredibly moist, flavorful, and very easy/quick to make. Plus, I love recipes where you practically dump things into a bowl (I didn't even read the directions - I just mixed the wet and dry ingredients separately, then gave it a quick mix before pouring it into the pan). I'm not exaggerating when I say this recipe took about 4 minutes to pull together: http://www.food.com/recipe/pumpkin-loaf-139988



However, the one caveat I have is that I think the recipe needs some serious tweaks. Whenever a sweet recipe doesn't call for at least a pinch of salt (or a splash of vanilla extract), I usually add it anyway. In this case, I used both, although the recipe didn't call for either one.

I also made the following changes:

- used 3 eggs, not 4 (only because that's how many I had on hand)
- used 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup dark brown sugar (for extra depth and moisture)
- added 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- dumped the entire mix into a bundt pan and only baked for 40-ish minutes



The result was incredible, and it'll definitely serve as my go-to pumpkin bread recipe from now on. 5 ladles.









No comments: