4.20.2011

Recipe #21: Scones

On a high from finding such an amazing country bread recipe from King Arthur Flour, I decided to try one of their "guaranteed" recipes for scones. They guarantee that these scones "will have a dark-gold outer crust, and a light-gold, moist inner crumb. They'll taste mildly of butter and vanilla." 

Hm...can't say that I agree, unfortunately. In order to get the dark-gold outer crust, I had to bake them for a bit longer than the recipe called for (even though I made each scone smaller than the recipe called for). But that made them too dry on the inside and a bit too crunchy on the outside. The taste was pretty good, but I probably wouldn't make this recipe again. Frankly, I'm surprised (and disappointed) that this is one of their "guaranteed" recipes! Oh well. At the very least, it gave me a good excuse to use the gorgeous cake plate that my MIL gave me for Christmas.

 
(If you're wondering why the currants are so prominent on top...it's because I forgot to incorporate them into the mixture and ended up having to place them on top prior to baking. And if you're curious about what happens to the currants when you do that...well, they taste burnt and bitter. Whoops.) 3 ladles.

No comments: