4.24.2011

More of Dubai

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a few great meals during my most recent trip to Dubai.

Here are some more pictures. This one is of a hot pot (aka Chinese fondue) restaurant that my family enjoys. Here, half of the pot is a light broth, while the other half is a very spicy broth. In Chinese cooking, the concept of yin and yang is ever present. This hot pot presents a beautiful balance of flavors, both taste-wise and aesthetically. The spicy part is incredibly spicy (the red stuff you see floating on top is chili paste -- believe it or not, it was spicy, even for a hard core chili head like me!).


So, you dip a number of things into either side. We chose noodles and super thin slices of lamb. Because of how hot the broths get (there's a tableside burner underneath the pot), both cook very quickly:



They also had a cart with a variety of dipping sauces, ranging from Thai peanut sauce to more hot chili pastes, and a variety of fresh herbs, like cilantro.

To finish it off, we had these incredible "donuts." My family insisted that they were golden nuggets from heaven. And I totally agree. The dipping sauce was an incredibly thick mixture, which I venture to guess was made of sweetened condensed milk. 'Nuf said.



No comments: