3.14.2011

Recipe #16 & 17: Banana cake with chocolate frosting

One of my new year's resolutions was to curb food waste. Admittedly, I haven't been 100% successful this year, but I think I've gotten better. For instance, I roasted way too much broccoli the other night. So instead of wasting the half that would've gone into the trash later in the week, I quickly boiled some pasta, tossed it in with the broccoli, and dressed it with some garlic, really fruity olive oil and freshly grated parmesan. Lovely.

Well this weekend, I had 3 bananas that were overly ripe, and there was no way I'd get through them before they became inedible. Tired of the same old banana bread, I looked through my latest cookbook, The Barefoot Contessa "How Easy is That?" and found a recipe for banana cake with cream cheese frosting. I didn't have cream cheese and it sounded a bit too heavy, so I searched online for an easy frosting recipe. But back to the cake. It was very moist, with a good density, but I honestly can't tell the difference between this cake and a regular banana loaf, other than the shape of the pan (round vs. loaf pan). 4 ladles though, for moistness and taste. Here's the side profile:


The frosting, however, was an entirely different matter. The recipe claimed to the world's easiest chocolate frosting recipe -- which wasn't entirely false. It just required cocoa powder, powdered sugar, milk, and a little vanilla extract. I don't know what happened, but it looked like poo. The consistency was terrible, and so was the taste:



I lamented having used the last of my Scharffenberger cocoa powder. Boo! What a waste. 0 ladles.

No comments: