2.09.2011

Recipe #9: Carrot cake

When I'm stressed, I bake. Well, I've been baking A LOT lately.

Carrot cake is one of those classic cakes for which there are at least 1000 recipes. And for some reason, I felt compelled to make it. This recipe, from Fine Cooking, came out really well. I made a few adjustments, though: namely, I omitted raisins (because I hate them) and walnuts (because I didn't have them on hand), reduced the brown sugar in the cake by 1/2 cup, and reduced the powdered sugar in the frosting by an entire cup (it was sweet enough with just 3 cups -- the extra cup would've sent a diabetic to the ER).

Here's the final product, all nicely frosted:


And here's a little sliver for the baker (looks a bit like PacMan, doesn't it?):



The cake was moist and intensely flavorful, while the frosting had a good tang from the cream cheese, balanced with enough sweetness. I've seen recipes that add everything from pineapple chunks to coconut, but I'm a purist when it comes to carrot cake.

I also felt that the recipe made way too much frosting. I didn't want to waste it, so I ended up making little cookie sandwiches (with the animal cookies I had made the same day).


The kiddies gobbled them up and the adults raved about the cake. 5 ladles!

2 comments:

Steven Greimann and Diane Kappa said...

You are killing me!! This is one of my favorite cakes. i can almost taste it.

Chief Grubber said...

Aw! I wish I could send some to you!