2.04.2011

Recipe #8: Whole Grain Animal Crackers

As I was trolling foodgawker, I came across a recipe for whole grain animal crackers, and I was intrigued. Normally, I don't like overly cutesy things, but the cookies were pretty darn cute. And looked delicious, too. Plus, I'm trying to incorporate things like flaxseed more consistently into my food, and this seemed like a great way to do that.

So here they are, awaiting the oven:


And here they are, the little piggy and the cow, fresh from the oven:


5 ladles! I reduced the sugar just a tad (from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup), and I baked them for a little longer than what the recipe called for. I baked my first batch according to the recipe, and found that they were a bit too soft. When you leave them in until they turn a slightly deeper brown (not just golden brown), they get crispier and crunchier, like ordinary animal crackers.

I'm going to see some friends tonight, whose kids I adore, so I might ask them to be my guinea pigs. I definitely liked the taste, and it sure beat that white, cardboardy stuff that usually masquerades around as animal cookies. If I had used different cookie cutters, I'm sure adults would find these elegant, nutritious and quite tasty.

No comments: