2.18.2011

Recipe #12: Olive oil & rosemary "Wheat Thins"

R. has been known to eat an entire box of Wheat Thins in one sitting. To say that he loves them would be a gross understatement. So when I came across this recipe for olive oil and rosemary "Wheat Thins," I was intrigued. Plus, I love that it only uses 5 ingredients (not including salt). Easy enough, right?

It was easy. Kinda. But the real trick is to get the dough very, very, very thin. That's tricky. I also didn't have rosemary on hand, and I'm not a huge fan of it because the flavor can be very overwhelming. So when I looked in my spice pantry, I found a packet of za'atar that my dear friend M. had sent me from Israel. Za'atar is an incredibly delicious Middle Eastern spice. It's a mix of mostly thyme, oregano, sesame seeds, sumac and some other stuff. This particular mix had a taste that I couldn't quite place my finger on, but of course the ingredients were listed in Hebrew, so I had no idea. It's delicious though! Thank you, M! (Miss you lots!) I think it actually made the crackers tastier by imparting it with such a wonderfully complex flavor -- definitely not possible with lonely old rosemary. So here they are, out of the oven:


Here's a closeup (specks of white = sea salt):


They're strangely addictive, even though jury's still out on whether they actually taste good. I packed them in R.'s lunch the other day, and I got this email from him after he had finished his lunch: "Um, the wheat crackers are weird. Maybe you should eat them." Ha! When they first came out of the oven, they tasted fine...but apparently not so much after only a few hours.  2.5 ladles...the extra .5 for the creative concept.

No comments: