2.08.2011

Florio Restaurant


We used to live near Florio and would pass by it nearly every day. I don't know what kept us from going in there for an actual meal, as we used to pop in on occasion for a casual drink. I'm so glad we stopped by a few weekends ago -- it was an incredibly satisfying meal. 


We started off with the cheese selection: the Cowgirl Creamery Devil’s Gulch Cow’s Milk With Sweet & Spicy Pepper Flakes and the Tome De Bordeaux: Herb Crusted, Firm Goat’s Milk Cheese From France. It was served with membrillo (quince paste) and some crusty bread. The Cowgirl Creamery is a local artisan cheesemaker -- lucky me -- that makes the most outrageous cheese (if they slathered their cheese on an old sneaker, I would still eat it). The Devil's Gulch Cow's Milk was creamy and decadent, while the Tome De Bordeaux was earthy and firm. 

For my entree, I had Capellini With Dungeness Crab, Pepperoncini Piccante, Scallion & Preserved Lemon. The pasta was cooked perfectly al dente - and I mean perfectly; there's nothing that ruins a pasta dish like overcooked, mushy pasta. The preserved lemon was such a lovely, refreshing touch, and it really made the dish. My dining mate had Pappardelle With Braised Pork Sugo, Rosemary & Grano Padano -- and I wanted to swim in it (at one point, he had to fend off my fork). The pork was so tender, that it practically disintegrated in your mouth. 

I wish I had pictures, but to be honest, there were barely 0.5 seconds before everything was blissfully shoved into my mouth.




No comments: