1.11.2011

Recipe #1: Sauerkraut & Pork

Although I haven't read (or watched)  Julie & Julia, I like the concept of cooking one's way through a single cookbook -- especially a cookbook by the legendary Julia Child. I could think of a few cookbooks I'd love to try that experiment with, but when it comes down to it, I have neither time nor desire to embark on such an insane journey.

But this year, I want to conduct mini experiments/testings of recipes, and document them -- so that the next time I come across the recipe (forgetting, in my moments of amnesia, that I had already tried it), I can remember how tasty or foul it was.

So here's the first new recipe of the year: Sauerkraut and Pork. I don't know what inspired me to try this recipe, other than the fact that it seemed astoundingly easy, with very few ingredients, and looked very hearty (perfect for a chilly, fog-laden day).

Conclusion: It was just that: astounding easy, with very few ingredients, and hearty. Beyond that, I don't really have too much to say about this recipe. I give it -- in my new rating system I just came up with -- 2 ladles; in other words, meh. It lacked any real flavor other than pork and sauerkraut (guess the recipe title should've given that away, huh?). And it was just too...white. White applesauce, white sauerkraut, white meat = white. Maybe I would've felt more inspired had I donned on a dirndl and downed a stein of good German brew with it. Maybe not.

2 comments:

Steven Greimann and Diane Kappa said...

Sauerkraut and pork is a popular "first meal" in the New Year. Supposed to bring luck. You choose purposely, yes?

Chief Grubber said...

Um...sure, I knew that! Kidding...I had no idea. Is that a Hungarian sentiment? Bring on the luck then! :)