1.29.2011

Recipe #6: Roasted tomato bruschetta

This recipe seemed easy enough -- roast plum tomatoes, onions and garlic together, drizzled with a bit of olive oil. Then puree and add parmesan and fresh basil. It was definitely easy enough, and the roasted vegetables had a depth of flavor that was pretty tasty. But something was missing...I can't quite put my finger on it, but I was definitely underwhelmed by this dish. I wonder if it would've been better as a marinara sauce, actually, with grape tomatoes instead of plum tomatoes. The other thing to note is that tomatoes aren't really in season right now, which may have been another reason why this dish wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. It was a good reminder to cook with ingredients that are at their peak in flavor, when they're actually in season. 2 ladles.


No comments: