1.28.2011

Recipe #5: Lemon olive oil cake

I found the cake I want to marry. It's my soul mate.

Seriously, this cake (loaf) is outrageously good. I mean, it's so good it makes you want to cry. It's incredibly moist, fluffy, light and flavorful. I made just a few tweaks to the original recipe: I substituted lemon olive oil for the regular olive oil (from Stonehouse, my favorite olive oil -- I buy their largest size and get them refilled at the Ferry Building when I run out), and didn't sprinkle any extra sugar on top. Otherwise, I followed the recipe and it came out perfectly. I used lemons from my co-worker's backyard (he brought them into the office), and they were so fresh and pungent. The only drawback is that it makes a small loaf, and you're going to cry when the last piece is gone. 5+ ladles!

Oh -- I didn't have a wire rack (even though I bake a lot, it's just one of those things I've never bothered to get...), so I came up with a rather ingenious workaround, if I do say so myself. I have a lot of wooden chopsticks laying around (from all the take-out from the sushi restaurant next door), so I scattered them on the bottom and rested the cake on top. This contraption prevented the loaf from getting soggy on the bottom because it lets the air circulate under it. It also helped when I put the glaze over it (so that the cake wouldn't sit in a puddle of glaze). Some day, I'm going to write a book about the 101 uses for chopsticks. ;)

Here's the picture, in case you don't believe me:



And here it is after the light glaze (just a pretty sheen, nothing too overwhelming):



And here it is after I sliced into it, when it was still warm:


I think this cake is best enjoyed warm (it gets slightly more dense with time, but it's still quite moist). Next time, I might serve it with a berry coulis or even with fresh berries as a very refreshing and light dessert or as an afternoon tea cake.

No comments: