1.03.2011

Homemade hummus

Oy, this past holiday season was definitely full of indulgences! Of course, with the new year comes a boat load of resolutions. I won't bore you with all of mine, but one of them is to try to cook more and eat more "clean" food (i.e. not processed, locally grown or at least organic, natural), despite being tired or short on time. It's not that I don't eat "clean" now -- it's just that I tend to fall off the wagon in the name of convenience or indulgence.

So I started off with one of my favorite go-to items, hummus. It's unbelievably easy and fits the "clean" bill. It takes all of 5 ingredients (chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice + salt/pepper to taste), and the best part is that you can literally dump everything into a food processor and let it do all the work. I actually added a few chili pepper flakes for some kick. With something this easy and quick, there's no point in buying hummus (that often comes with additives or preservatives or excess salt). The possibilities are endless, too: you can add everything from roasted red peppers, artichokes, sundried tomatoes, etc.). Voila!

No comments: