1.20.2011

Christmas in January

Christmas is long gone, but at the moment I sorta feel like a giddy child gleefully sitting on top of a mound of presents. Ok, so maybe not *that* excited, but still...today, I received a basket of fruits and veggies that I had ordered from a local company. The Fruit Guys deliver (mostly) locally grown, fresh organic fruits and veggies. It's essentially a CSA (community supported agriculture). I've always wanted to do it, but never felt I could eat or cook all the ingredients in the weekly box before things spoil. Plus, a weekly box felt like such a heavy commitment. Well, the Fruit Guys gives you a commitment-free option; just place the order a few days in advance, whenever you want a box, and they'll deliver it. Moreover, they delivered it directly to my office, which is a huge plus since most CSAs deliver to the home (when I'm working) or at a central location (meeting point away from the office). Anyways, here are the lovely little gems I received in my box today:

  • Arkansas Black Apple
  • D'Anjou Pear
  • Satsuma
  • Fuji Apple
  • Kiwi
  • Curly Green kale
  • Red Onion
  • Shiitake Mushroom
  • Ginger
  • Butternut Squash
  • Specialty Tea Bags 


And it all comes in this cute little "suitcase" box. So freaking cute, it's killing me a tiny bit.


I'm sharing the box with a co-worker, which is great because he can take the things I don't like -- i.e. mushrooms. :) My mind is already spinning with the things I could make this weekend. Oh -- and the little insert they put in the box includes a recipe for crystallized ginger (as well as for brandied mushrooms, which the co-worker is taking with him, obviously).  

What a treat - and so convenient! Not sure yet if the price is worth it, but it sure is fun to have all these lovely fruits and veggies delivered right to my office.

No comments: