10.08.2010

Delicious Dubai


I traveled to Dubai a while back to visit my brother, his lovely wife, and the world's cutest little boy (who just happens to be my nephew - lucky me!). I'm not sure how I fit into my airplane seat coming home, because I had such good food there - and as you all know, Middle Eastern food is right up my alley.

Here's an assortment of food we had at a food court in the mall. Hold up. Now, you might be thinking to yourself, "a mall?!" But consider that life in Dubai pretty much revolves around malls. And that's not much of an exaggeration. When the weather gets scorching hot - unbearably so - (and it really does in Dubai) you head to the mall. Period. Groceries? Get them at the mall. Ski? The Mall. Don't believe me? Here's proof:



 You get the picture. So this mall place really did have fabulous food. Here, we ate some chicken shwarma, hummus, tabbouleh, kofta, and grilled lamb chops. Aw crap...I think I just drooled on my computer.


I also had a chance to taste hamour, which is a fish that is quite popular in the UAE (as it's usually caught off the coast of Abu Dhabi), but I've never seen it served in any other country. Much to horror, I later found out that this fish is facing extinction due to overfishing. It's a meaty fish - not unlike monk fish.


And what did I wash it all down with? Camel milk, of course!


Actually, I didn't. I remember disliking this as a kid, and I couldn't bring myself to drink it again. Gotta love the name - Camelicious. Beyonce should endorse it.

No comments: