4.09.2008

Shakshuka. Dr. Shakshuka.

You must be wondering...is that the name of an Israeli spy I met during my travels? No, my friends, surprise: it's the name of a crazy (and crazy popular) restaurant in Tel-Aviv that serves shakshuka.

Shakshuka is an Israeli dish of eggs stewed in a rich tomato sauce. The sauce's deep red color is further enhanced by the liberal addition of sweet paprika. Enhanced with garlic and onion, the eggs are stewed just until the whites harden a bit but the yolks remain tender. You soak up all this goodness with chunks of soft bread.

Dr. Shakshuka, the restaurant, had a rather eccentric decor, mostly comprised of used butane tanks.

But who was paying any attention to the decor? I was trying to figure out a way to smuggle the chef into the U.S. Or more innocuously, how I could convince the chef to part with his precious recipe for this amazing dish...alas, I was unsuccessful on both fronts.

And I swear - it tasted a lot better than it looks in this picture. I should've taken the shot
before I dug into the dish, but...I couldn't help myself! It was either take the picture after a few bites or ruin the entire dish with my drool.

No comments: