4.08.2008

Salad with fried cheese? Yes, please!

After a long stroll through the trendy Shenkin Street in Tel-Aviv, I had worked up a fierce appetite. So I wandered into a little cafe and ordered up a fresh, cold lemonade (with mint sprigs - what a novel idea!) and a healthy salad. After a week of decadent eating, I figured I should veer a little on the lighter side.

Whoa, nelly! If this isn't a big boy's salad, I don't know what is!


But hey - any salad topped with fried cheese (halumi) gets two thumbs up in my book. If you can't tell by this picture, the salad plate took up half my table. This salad had everything but the kitchen sink, and it was dressed in a really delightful dijon mustard vinaigrette.

But let's get back to the halumi. Halumi is a semi-soft cheese, but it's sturdy enough (and has a higher melting point than most cheeses) to be fried. The texture turns a little chewy, but the crispy exterior makes up for that. It's 'meaty,' so the addition to this salad gave it a hearty twist. So much for a light meal! Sigh...

No comments: