1.27.2008

Dim Sum and Then Some

My good friend R. is a sweetheart and always let me choose where we're going to eat whenever I'm back in NYC. During Christmas, I decided I really wanted some dim sum. Granted, there is fine dim sum to be had in San Francisco, I'm sure, but I haven't really had the energy to seek out the authentic joints. And Lord knows, you never really want to eat dim sum in SF's Chinatown, because only tourists (or 'tourons' = tourist + moron, as my friend M. so aptly put it) eat there. Note to self: go explore the Inner Sunset district, or maybe even Richmond, as there are plenty of delicious Chinese restaurants in those areas.

Yet NYC's Chinatown is different. There are plenty of amazingly delicious, authentic, and cheap eats. R. took me to [name to be inserted as soon as R. reminds me of the restaurant name]. I love dim sum because much like tapas, you can choose small bites of whatever you fancy - this is my favorite eating style, as I tend to get bored of just one dish or taste, halfway through my meal.

To be honest, I don't remember everything that we had. But, I can safely surmise that it involved various types of dumplings and shu mai. R. also introduced to me a special kind of dim sum dish that is a favorite of the Hong Kong-ese: it's a large, flat rice noodle that's wrapped in a spring roll wrapper, and fried. It's then doused with a sweet soy sauce, which for me was the dish's only redeeming quality. It was...an interesting mix of textures, and by 'interesting' I really mean 'not so tasty.' It was like a schizophrenic noodle - it didn't know whether it wanted to be tender or crispy. But otherwise, all the dishes that we ordered were phenomenal and this restaurant was one of the better dim sum places out of the many I've been to in NYC.

No comments: